This is something I’ve never tried before. Something told me to make my RSS 2.0 feed readable.
Since I’ve never formatted XML with anystylesheet before, I decided to try my hand at using CSS for my formatting. It was rather dull 😉 so I jumped to the dreaded XSL method — something I ran away from when I tried to learn everything XML.
To my surprise [and delight], it was a piece of cake. I’ve added a line of code to the files responsible for generating the RSS 2.0 and Comments (RSS 2.0) feeds, since more people use RSS 2 than Atom.
Hopefully, it’ll be easier to view from the browser :D.
Google popularized Ajax with GMail. Yahoo’s taken it over the top with their new homepage. It’s just as well that Yahoo moved over to Ajax because I know Microsoft was planning something along that line with Live.
If Ajax doesn’t turn out to be another fad, then bby 2008, most sites will be more like applications.
I certainly don’t want to miss out on the fun — I’m glad I joined the band-wagon early.
It seems I want to learn everything there is to know in this world — maybe it’s because I get my feeling of prestige from knowing a lot. I’ve always known I can’t know it all — yet, I keep trying.
I’ve always eyed hardware programming right from when I started out. Hardware has always fascinated me — how do you write code to tell a chunk of metal to do something? How do you build the hardware itself and interface it with something else? These are some questions I’ve always asked myself.
I find myself getting annoyed presently because I can’t seem to understand the C++ book I’m currently with. I think I’ll just skip it and moveover to something more challenging. I hate writing code for which I find no use — console programs.
Maybe my feeling of inadequacy is prompted by the fact that I’ve written programs in other languages that allow easy creation of GUIs.
With so much on my hands these days, I just might…
IIS is a great server — writen especially for Windows, it functions exactly the way it’s meant to, ignoring the security breaches and high response time from the folks at Microsoft.
One thing that gets me annoyed about using PHP and IIs is the lack of support for url-rewriting. Except you’ve installed some third-party tool like ISAPI-Rewrite, you can’t do any rewriting except you’re running Asp.NET.
I feel this gives Asp.NET an unfair advantage because you can easily use the Web.config file to enable rewrite support for your application.
.htaccess on Apache however, is generic which leads me to believe that the Web.config file can serve as a .htaccess file on Windows — it’s simple logic. Instead of heading into IIS to set directory permissions, one simply needs to place a Web.config file with the required permissions inside the folder.
Maybe Apache’s spoiled me :cry:.
I knew I was going to find a way out of the IE mess. A little skeptical about what I’d be able to find, I Googled reusing xmlhttprequest objects in ie and hit the jackpot on the first try. Here’s the solution, which I got from Pavan Keely’s blog.
Currently, my custom AJAX class works perfectly. The annoying aspect of my search was that Microsoft didn’t have anything on it — in fact, their documentation has been upgraded for IE 7 (which sports the same window.XMLHttpRequest object as Firefox).
Hopefully, as more and more developers move towards Web 2.0, the browsers will cooperate more and more. I know Firefox lifted the window.ActiveXObject(‘XMLHTTP’) concept from IE and made it into one of the core objects of the browser, but it’s still good. I’m impressed by Microsoft’s humility of late.
I got a book on Ajax (Ajax in Action) some centuries ago (January) and lifted the custom class Eric Pascarello et al used. I discovered I didn’t like their logic very much and decided to write mine to make use of just one XMLHttpRequest object.
That was when I ran into a very annoying snag — IE (the most annoying browser on earth — try viewing the bottom of this page in IE). Internet Explorer, simply put, allowed me to make only one call with the Microsoft.ActiveXObject(‘XMLHTTP’) object, just once — after that, all calls failed to fire.
I tried every which way, because my previous model of ExamDirect created a new object per request in both IE and Firefox — which led to increasing memory. If I hadn’t used reusable DOM nodes, I’d have been a goner in terms of memory management. Now, I really am stumped, with no single idea how to work around it.
I’m sure I’ll be able to come up with something very soon, however.